Monday, April 20, 2009

Day 3: Goodbye to Gjeongju and all its beauty.

The last day we decided to return to Bowmun resort. When we went the first time and rented the bikes, the children wondered why we hadn't rented the mini ATVs. So we decided that it would be wise to end the vacation as the Best Parents In The World, and go back for the ATVs. We went first thing in the morning. We were probably the first customers of the day, which in Korea is a big deal. The guy gave each of the kids a vehicle and we had one solid hour of fun driving around the courtyard of the lake. The crowds were thin in the morning so the kids could feel wild and free on their ATVs. And I thoroughly enjoyed a country that didn't have liability laws and issues that would have then prohibited my children from having the kind of fun that they did. Who lets 4 year-olds drive motorized vehicles? Seriously, is was some good times for the Earnest children.












But when the hour of motorized fun was up, the Korean Duck boats were calling my name! Hearkening back to the Boston Duck Tour of summer 2007, we laid down our 9000 Won per boat and peddles around the lake.

The duck boats. A personal trip high light.





And when the crowds began to swarm, and we had had all the fun that was going to be had at Bowman Resort, it was time to say good bye to Gjeongju and all of it's Cherry Blossom beauty and head back to Osan.

The trip would not be complete without one last stop at yet another beautiful Korea rest stop. This time with the most ingenious playground I have ever encountered. Enlarge the photo to see the playground surrounded by adult size exercise equipment stations. You will see me in the photo on the elliptical machine. I dare say that if all playgrounds throughout my 9.5 years of child rearing were this ingenious, I would be much skinnier! It was hard to pull myself away from such a delightful setup. But I was getting tired of being an American tourist in Korea, and the cacoon like comfort of Osan Air Base was sounding like a welcome sight after our little foray in the country.

To our first sucessful spring break in Korea. I saw a new side of the country going down to Gjeongju. I'm very pleased we went.

And now it's time to get back to the present. Spring break, checked off the list...

5 comments:

Valerie said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I think exercise equipment at the park is a fabulous idea-

You're brave to let the girls on those ATV's- I don't think Emma would get on one even if I wanted her to...

sarah said...

Oh man you guys really know how to do it up right. Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for leaving out any fights in the car and protests of boredom (assuming any happened, although they probably didn't) so we can imagine it in all it's perfection!

Annee said...

Why do you think we went back for the ATVs? It certainly wasn't because I felt like we had missed out on that activity. It involved tears on the part of someone.

And you will notice a decided lack of photos at restaurants, or references to eating. That's because everything involving food was difficult and left us feeling mostly hungry all the time.

The car was not difficult at all. We drive so very little here in Korea that the children I think found it novel to be in the car again.

We stayed busy most of the time, although by day 3 had we said we were going to visit some more Korean cultural sights, I believe we would have heard some protests. Of course, no trip is perfect, but give yourself two weeks to write the trip recap, and you will have a surprisingly rosy spin on the whole experience.

Liz said...

Spring break looks like it was a lot of fun. Crazy that Korea lets 4 year olds on ATVs. You are definitely the coolest for letting your kids ride them. I guess Korea isn't that bad after all!!

Ie Li said...

I love the idea of ellipticals at parks.

Gyeoungju looks beautiful.