Monday, April 13, 2009

Pause the vacation recap for a moment...

Because it was Easter. On Saturday it was also the boys baseball opening day ceremonies. So we were all up and at it pretty early Saturday morning for some good old fashioned baseball fun.

Then later in the afternoon the girls with George wanted to participate in the base sponsored Easter egg hunt on the Great Lawn of Turumi Lodge.



The girls were so excited that cousin Lisa (my cousin) had sent them bunny ears. They felt appropriately festive for the fun on the lawn.


Too bad we seem to have entered into a time when it's hard to capture a cute photo together. Here are the intakes and the outtakes, all mixed together. It's hard to decide which is which. So many things seem not to happen around here these days (like the laundry), but I did get a burst of energy and sewed together these Easter creations for the girls. Jane's outfit is an exact duplicate to the one we made for cousin June on her birthday in March. Jane has been coveting it ever since we mailed it off.



And as I have been blog surfing across all my family sites and seeing all the beautifully posed family photos abounding, Henry heard me lamenting that we didn't have such a photo. He told me not to worry, that I should just post an apology on the blog that said, "Sorry we don't have a nice family photo, but we had lots of fun for Easter."

Thanks for the tip Hank! I'm so grateful to have him in our family. Here is Henry on Easter as photographed by Ruby. I feel like all of our traditions were sort of only half-heartedly done this year. But much to my great enjoyment the boys had some moments of very reverent learning as they seemed interested this year in understand what the true meaning of Easter is. Nothing makes me feel more satisfied than seeing my boys learning about the Gospel. I am grateful I have it to teach to them.

Happy Easter.

P.S. Jane and Ruby have recently started talking about Jesus on a daily basis. Asking about where He lives, what He likes, etc., etc. One night Ruby wanted to help me cook dinner. I was tired and not really wanting her kind of help. So I kept telling her to please not help me. She finally said, "Mom, what would Jesus want you to do?" I said I wasn't sure. And she said, "Mom, he would want me to help you." It was hard to argue with that point.

Then yesterday as Jane was getting her hair brushed, she was checking herself out in the mirror. I told her I was all done, and she freaked out because some tiny hairs were sticking up (gotta love the Earnest DNA when it shines forth!). I told her it didn't matter. She said "Mom, Jesus does not have hair that sticks up. He doesn't like sticking up hair". I took a moment to explain that Jesus loves us no matter what we look like. He likes us even if our hair sticks up. She asked me to please get the gel out, because she was going to get those three hairs to lay down flat.

6 comments:

sarah said...

Great Easter recap! Love the new outfits and the grumpy photo faces. The girls have learned the ultimate negotiating technique. Too bad for you.

Alyssa said...

hey... i used to get mad at my mom when you could see the part in my hair... i feel for the girls.

Liz said...

Annee, just dress everyone in their Easter outfits this next Sunday. That might work against your fashion rules to wear the exact same thing 2 weeks in a row, but you could snap the shot you want. However, I actually like Hank's idea (and the nickname) the best. Sounds like Easter was a lot of fun!

Brooke said...

Love, love, love the hair story! Sometimes I have moments of guilt when Maggie comes down for school and I ask her to go comb her hair. "I already did" is usually her answer. I'm trying to be cool about it...really I am.

Ana said...

How come your girls aren't crying after the hunt? Jack was in tears because he only got 4 eggs. I'm hoping maybe that's something he'll grow out of??

That is so sweet that the girls talk about Jesus so much... I think that means you are doing an awesome job teaching them what matters :)

Annee said...

The girls were not crying because despite their low egg counts, it was what was inside the eggs that counted to them. In most cases it was chocolate, and permission to eat all it. How could a girl cry under those circumstances?