Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Rundown.


First of all, meet Sariah. She was my faithful race participant here in Korea. Between the two of us, we have 8 kids. It's a very small world when you move half-way around it, only to be sitting in church one Sunday when you meet another mom sitting there with her 4 kids including a set of twins, and incidentally she runs marathons too! Coincidental? I think not. So, as soon as Sariah got wind of O.W.R.D. (thanks mom, for the acronym), she was signed up, and my biggest supporter. We would pass each other on windy and cold Saturday mornings. Wave to one another around base in our running gear. And exchange emails back and forth about race morning plans and routes. And the best part?! When I said the race should start at 9:30 Saturday morning, but was showing up closer to 9:45 with my four kids in toe, she was arriving at THE EXACT SAME MOMENT with her four kids in toe. In other words, we are on the same page! Thanks for making it an event Sariah. I owe you. And since the Fisher house was plagued by a nasty flu/clod that swept through for the past ten days, she had only a 6.5 mile run under her belt as her longest run. She was only planning on going 9 on the big race day, but given the ideal conditions, the adrenaline and the fans, who could resist it, she ended up whipping out 11 hardy miles. So yay for Sariah. And I've already told her I'll come back out when it's her official 1/2 marathon race day.

As anticipated, when I woke up on Sunday morning my inbox was full of photos from friends literally all around the world(well, mostly around the US, but that's cool too). Meet some of the other race participants:

Team GERMANY:

My dad! My dad is the original Zackrison family runner. He ran his first marathon at age 40, and admittedly had no idea what he was creating at the time. He now has a family full of marathon runners. Like any die hard runner entering his "more mature" years, he has knee problems. He recently had surgery and certainly would have been pounding the pavement as only he can, were he not being a conscientious patient. So for O.W.R.D. he biked to his gym in Frankfurt, and endured additional cardio than he would have otherwise. I love you dad. I run for you!

Team PASADENA:


Rachel was my original source of inspiration for O.W.R.D. I'm still sorry that my participation didn't take place in Pasadena as it should have. But what can you do when you live in Korea. Look what Rachel and Zack found along their race course....

The best part, she titled the picture "Race day Korea love". Korea sends love right back at you! Wish we weren't five million miles apart. But thanks for giving me a reason to be a race organizer. It was a lovely event.


Team SANTA ROSA:

Sara B. (even though she should be Sara H., she'll forever be Sara B. to me). Sara ran a 8 or 9K and thanked ME for the opportunity. I've known her since we were 13 and SHE still makes me laugh as though I am a 13-year-old girl. I miss her and love her for running in O.W.R.D


Team MARYLAND:

Jana apologized for only being able to dedicate 2 miles on her treadmill to the event. But in my opinion she gets bonus points for being my longest friend, with whom I am still in contact. We were best friends in Elementary School! My heart broke into a million little pieces when I left MD and moved to LA because I had to leave Jana behind. And here we are almost 20 years later still friends!! I accept her 2 mile offering as one most dear. Thank you Jana and Ella her 5-year-old daughter, with whom I share a birthday, who acted as photographer.


Team DENVER:


Kathryn, another friend from junior high who gets to call my favorite state HOME. She and her friend Keri were inspired by the cause to run a full 10K, their longest running distance to date (I'm sure that is about to change!). Additionally, they taught two of their other friends (Erica and Shanna) to swim as their contribution. And EVEN got her husband Todd to agree to contributing his treadmill miles! Thank you Kathryn and company for the love and support. I am most impressed!!

Team MONTEREY:
Samantha is my friend who has lived in the same place as us for the birth of three of our four children. I don't know if I have any other friend who can make the same claim? Considering those births took place in Germany and Utah, that's unique. And she quite possibly ran the 13 miles that I am the most jealous of, since they were coastal miles. Way to go Samantha who will be running her first marathon in less than a month. I'm proud to have you not only as a friend, but a RUNNING friend!

Team ARIZONA:


Amber 14 weeks ago gave birth to her second set of twins, which means that she is now the mother of six. Yes, that's right, six children! She is my sister in law and dearest friend. Could there be a more triumphant finish line photo? She gives me some of the credit for her being a runner. You should read her post on her blog about it. Needless to say I'm in tears over it. We will race together again. I'm so glad to see you back in running action. I love you Amber!


Team NORTHERN CALIFORNIA:


Liz is my original running friend. I was living with her in college when she decided to run her first marathon. I used to watch her set off in the early morning hours wondering what in the world propelled her out the door. I wonder no longer, and only regret that I didn't join her sooner. She had a baby six months ago who went through open-heart surgery when he was 2 weeks old. I admire her physical, emotional, spiritual and mental strength to no end. She is my go-to-girl if there is anything I need back in the States. And she totally wins the prize for the cutest race day t-shirt. I'm terribly jealous that I didn't think of it myself!

Team SAVANNAH:

Eliza, my roommate freshmen year in college! Even though she has a 2-year-old and is in her second trimester of pregnancy, she STILL participated in O.W.R.D!! What more needs to be said about Eliza?! She is one of the most capable people I have ever had the privilege of knowing.


Team COLORADO SPRINGS!:


Kim moved to Colorado Springs the exact same time as us. She conveniently had kids matching up in age with mine, and the Newtons totally made our time in Colorado Springs that much more memorable. But the entire time I knew her, she never ONCE expressed interest in running. She was an amazingly supportive friend through all of my running endeavors, but I didn't ever suspect that she was moved by my running feats. Who would have guessed that World Race Day would be just what she needed to join the running world? She offered her original 5K and even got 12-year old son Jake to participate. They definitely win extra credit points for the snow in the background! (Kim, were your miles run outside?) Thank you Kim and Jake!



Laura, another Colorado Springs friend. Nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing non-running friends turn into running friends. Laura started running only about a year ago and will likely remain a runner for the rest of her life. Thanks for participating Laura!!

My friend Lori ran!! Lori is by her own admission un-athletic. What I love most about her participation is that it validates my claim that ANYONE can run. I'm so glad you participated Lori. And 3.1 miles is impressive. I hope it won't be your last race. Let's do one together when I get back.

And the best part about Lori participating was that it got Evan inspired as well. I'm all about bringing the younger generation along too. Evan ran for Henry, and Henry was totally smiling about that. Thanks Evan! I hope it was fun.


Team VIRGINIA:



My brother Steve and his cute wife Ie Li. With Mei Li and baby Stephen in toe, they are dedicated Zackrison family runners. They will be completing their own half-marathon later in the spring, but are always willing to rise up in support of a family event. Thanks for the moral support guys, and for ever encouraging me to love life in Korea!

And then finally, there is me:

I run for so many reasons.

I run for my girls. So that they will grow up strong and empowered.

I run for my son George that he will grow up knowing he was loved and watched over by his mother. And that if there is anything he wants to do, he should dream to do it. Because I tell him "Earnests don't give up." And I hope with all my running that he sees I really mean it.

I run for my Henry. He is ever faithful and good. I run to show him a little bit about the joy and the beauty in life. The world is gorgeous and it's for our enjoyment. I try to get him out there as much as possible so that he can see that for himself.


Oh yeah, and I run for Peanut M&Ms.

And I guess I run to feel empowered. And to remember that Earnests don't give up. And to remember that I can do anything I can dream of. And to remember that the world is a beautiful place. And to feel LOVED. And with all of your participation in our inaugural Official World Race Day, I totally feel the love. And I mean that most sincerely. God in all His glory has placed some of the most amazing people strategically throughout my life. That I have so many people to be inspired by and to admire is the blessing for which I can never fully express adequate appreciation.

Thank you all! On to the next race.


P.S. Due to a bit of technical difficulty, the official race clock is questionably accurate. But I'm basically sure that I ran my 1/2 marathon in about 1 hour 47 minutes. I'm pleased. I was aiming for 1 hour and 45 minutes. But what's the fun in achieving your goal on your first try? If you do, maybe you didn't set the bar high enough? Now I have a reason to come back and try harder next time.

P.P.S You can watch a little 1-minute video that Sariah's husband Adam posted to their blog. Just follow this linkity-link...

14 comments:

The Earnest Family said...

Your blog brought me to tears! You are right....Earnests don't give up! I think that it's so important that we try to instill that in our children when they are young and vounerable. Thanks for your support. Merry Christmas! I Love your guts!

Grandma Z said...

Wasn't this the OWRD because it was the day of the Rose Bowl Half Marathon? What happened to the report from that Pasadena team (Zack & Rachel)?

Annee said...

Yes, I'm wondering the same thing...I've gotten emails from both of them that they did it, but I was hoping for photos and a report. Hmmm...

Samantha said...

Love it Annee! I look forward to your next OWRD!!

Adam and Sariah said...

It was so great to be a part of it! Yeah, when we showed up 15 min. late and you were just getting there, I told Adam that we are really more alike than we even know. Ha! I am a little sore today, but hopefully my 1/2 won't be too far away. Thanks for including me and accepting less than a 1/2 for my offering. You had a great run...don't let those two minutes fool you! So glad that you are here with us in Korea!

Darin said...

Sorry for the confusion. I took my post off-line while I waited for the Pasadena race report to come in.

sara b said...

What great pictures from all of your friends and family from all different times in your life. I love it that you inspired so many people to come together and run for the cause of the strength and bond of friends no matter how far apart we all are.

Great post!

Zack said...

We had a great time in Pasadena and definitely missed Annee. She was the one who got me inspired to run my first long race... I think it was up in Boise first? Or was it the Ogden one?

Anyways... we should put a US based run on the calendar for when you are in town next.

have a happy day!
ps. I'll have to train to run with my other sister for the next one... Rachel and I enjoyed 6 great miles together.

Liz said...

How inspiring! I loved being a part of OWRD. So good seeing Team Savannah.

Annee, we really could be running partners now. I ran my 1/2 only 4 minutes faster than you. And, the GPS device is a dream. I think Santa might be bringing me one b/c I liked my friend's so much.

Katie said...

Okay, you could have warned me to grab a box of Kleenex before starting to read this. Amazing. Thank you for sharing this.

Christy said...

I love this post. Next time I will be the one running instead of Brett. I was looking for your family but I couldn't find them. We left pretty quickly though because it was cold. I love the reasons of why you run. So inspiring!

Jana said...

What a success and tribute to your friends and family! Thanks for including me despite my low mileage. :) Is Steve and his wife doing the National (1/2) Marathon this spring? Perhaps I'll see them there!

Karin said...

Wow, this is impressive. Seriously impressive. Almost motivates me to try a 1/2 marathon. Or 5K. Or dust off my tennis shoes... ;)
HELLO to Sariah!!! We told her of you from our Tucson days, but I really wasn't sure how much you'd cross paths-- funny.

Stephensens Rock said...

Annee that was awesome, I love all of the reports from your "teammates" around the world. And I love what you wrote at the end about why you run. Hold on a sec while I blow my nose. Sniff. I can't wait to see that part of your blog in your next blog book :)