Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Rachel in all her humility...

Dubbed it "Unofficial World Race Day". But I'm just wondering, who's in charge of saying if something is official versus unofficial. Because if nobody's in charge of that, I think it should be called "Official World Race Day".


(Henry and George with best friend Cole and Jack getting their first race experience back in 2006)



My sister Rachel is going to run the Rose Bowl 1/2 Marathon on December 13th. My brother Zack is going to join her, and I can't.

Finish line, LA Marathon March 2006

Christine Z., Annee, Zack Z., Rachel Z.

Just how a finish line should be.

So, I will be having a satellite race here in Korea on December 13th. Perhaps an event switches from unofficial to official once there are more than three participants?! In that case, I'm happy to report that I have racer #2 looking to pre-register here in Korea (consider yourself registered Sariah. There is no backing out now!). My friend Liz will be racing in Northern California. Sara B., will you be running with us still?

My friend Diana, in support of the event, has already mailed me my finish line mylar blanket to be wrapped up in when the 1/2 is over. And there is even some speculation about a t-shirt. So things are really shaping up.

Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays are my biggest training days. Those are the days that I hit the pavement outside. The rest of the time I hit the treadmill with Jane and Ruby bubbling in and out of the room as I run. But you do what you got to do when there is a race to prepare for.

The treats remain off limits until then. But let me tell you, the after race lunch is going to consist of: Peanut M&M, homemade chocolate chip cookies, and hot fudge sundaes for dessert. So if that interests you locally, you better start your training as well.

Three things about Tuesday's training run:


1. It was 32 degrees and windy. So that counts as my official first winter run. It's hard to get used to, but invigorating once you thaw out.

The always freezing Pueblo 1/2 Marathon
1st Saturday in December, 2006.



2. I ran past bullet shells. I wondered why, and I almost collected a whole handful, but then I just decided, some mysteries are best left unsolved.

3. I ran right past some jets landing on the runway. I would mention what type of Air Force jet, but I would hate to expose my lack of Air Force knowledge. And while I'm usually oblivious to jet excitement, I have to say there was something very thrilling about running, literally right next to those jets as they were landing.

So 26 more days until the big event. I will be trying to post training reports on a weekly basis. My intent is to stir up the enthusiasm. Perhaps with enough encouragement I will have my whole family at least running "with" me that day.

St. George Marathon Finish Line

October 2007

Mom, Annee, Rachel, and Dad.


So the question is, will anyone else join me?

22 comments:

sarah said...

Are you guys offering a 5k option? Sometimes they do that, you know.

Brooke said...

December 13 is about 3 weeks away from my due date, so, No, I will not be running.(Not that I've ever really been a runner, but your post was so inspiring, that on a non-pregnant year I might really have been tempted to start) I will, however, join you in the no treats pledge (although I've been doing that since early september with the diabetes anyway, so I don't know if that really counts). But, we'll be thinking of you....every once in a while a picture of us at the beach before you left for Korea flashes up on the screensaver. My kids are always so excited to see them...we sure miss you guys!
Brooke

Ie Li said...

Steve and I have already talked about running on December 13, but we won't be ready for a 1/2 marathon yet. We're trying to set a challenging distance for that day that will move our 1/2 training along. Maybe 5 or 6 miles?

Kat said...

Annee I'm in if I can do a 10k instead of a half marathon. Or maybe I can do my own little sprint triathlon using the pool, bike and track at the gym (wow that would be 33 laps in the pool and 30 on the track - can I be trusted to count THAT much during a race?). Let me know what you think Annee. Yeah for World Race Day!

Samantha said...

Annee, I'm totally in! But since you are a day ahead of me (isn't that right?) I'll be running on the 12th here, Fridays are my long run days anyway. I'm so excited, an international 1/2. Take pictures! Go Monterey!

Christy said...

Brett is running that race at the Rose Bowl. So I guess he is joining you. I will look for your family.

Liz said...

Could you please tell us your training schedule for your last long runs? It's been so long since I've done this, and while it won't be a pretty run for me, I'm looking forward to just going the distance. Thanks for being a worldwide events organizer. Be sure to put that on your resume!! Also, how is that even when you run you always look put together and stylish???

Alyssa Lark said...

very inspiring... I would run, but the whole child living inside me might make it a little tricky. Maybe I will go on a walk that day.... but probably not a 1/2 marathon distant walk. Maybe just like a 1 mile walk. That sounds nice.

Annee said...

In addition to it be Official World Race Day, it can also be a called Race Against Yourself Day. Meaning, you get to choose your own distance. The distance isn't important to me, it's the worldwide bond that really counts. So do a 5k, 10k, mini-tri, walk around the block. But most importantly, take pictures and email them to me!!

Liz, this Saturday we are up to 8 miles. It doesn't have to be pretty, it's the unity factor!

Rachel F. said...

Annee I had this crazy dream about our World Run Day. Except that you were pregnant. What the heck...

We need to talk about t-shirts. Skype me.

Laura said...

I've been slacking on my running lately, but I'm sure I can pull together a 5K or a 10K by Dec 13th! Count me in.

Christine said...

I'm in for a 5k, i think that's about all I can offer right now.

sara b said...

I am so IN! I will do at least a 10K.

Way to get people moving!

Adam and Sariah said...

I am honored to be registered! I would make my way through a 1/2, but I know it would take me a lot longer than you. You are faster than I am. I will do at least a 10K, but I will run for as much time as you do. That is my pledge. I am right there with you on the no sweets and it is hard!!! I don't know about the sweet overload after though. I have to fit in a formal dress a month later. I would buy a t-shirt though! Let me know what you decide. I will also get my dad to run. He was my marathon partner and lives in NE. I know he will join in. Let me know when you are planning your run for Sat. and I will try to be there. My weekday runs are getting tricky with it being so cold and having to take the babies. I am getting them in as much as possible. We'll see how it goes!

amber e said...

Annee....this is just what I need. ARIZONA is so in. Maybe I can recrute Krystal or Megan. I dusted off the old running shoes about 6 weeks ago which is about 360 years in running years. I'm not fast and its not pretty or graceful but then again its not meant to be pretty and graceful! I cant make any promises about a 1/2, but I will try even if it takes 4 hours....whats a homeless lady to do on a beautiful sat afternoon with 6 young kids, a stressful holiday season , a husband who is frustrated cause he cant run and is counting down the days for his knee sergury, and an out of shape mom whose legs arnt going quite as fast as she thinks they should....other than all that I am soooooo in. Give me details thx.

Annee said...

I am overwhelmed with joy in so many ways. This has totally made my day! I cannot believe how many of my friends will be running with me. The ONLY requirement is that you send me a photo via email:

annee_earnest@hotmail.com

You know there will be a race-day wrap up report. I will need the photographic evidence to validate the name switch from "unofficial" to "official". This is going to be great.

Amber, it's especially heart warming to hear from you. It's like you are back in my life again. I always miss you.

Jana said...

What motivators you and Rachel are! I did actually look to see if there are any organized races in DC that day--I haven't come across any. I guess us Washingtonians are too fearful of the cold. I am doing a 10K on Thanksgiving--does that count? I'll at least get a substantial run in on the 13th and think of you while I'm doing it. Perhaps Brian can take a picture as I run by the house. :)

Lori said...

You are motivating! I think you will have some of us from the springs that will also be participating! I'm dusting off the treadmill!

Taylor said...

Count me.....OUT!

The Earnest Family said...

I am officially signing up for the unofficial race. ARIZONA is in! I am not sure how it will turn out concidering I have only been running for 6 weeks post twins twice but it dosnt have to be pretty right? Im only up to about 5 miles so Im gonna try.....nobody will take the cones down right? Let me know about the shirts-I think we should put all the different places everyones running on them. Im soooo excited and soooo in! Amber

The Earnest Family said...

I didnt think my comment from the other day went through, I couldn't remember my password....does that surprise anyone at this point in my life? I even could have been sleepwalking-checkout the time. Although that is only time I can do anything for myself, can you relate? I saw your last time too. I miss you and LOVED the stuff you sent. It was right up our alley! Ellie slept in her apron for 3 days straight! I cant wait for the big race. I've recruited my little sister Krystal and about 35 cheerleaders (my whole family). Keep us posted!

Doug said...

Okay Annee I'm in since you're offering so many options in distance requirements. I know I'm registering a little late but Doug and I will represent FL. Doug will go 15 I think since he's training for a Full sometime in the near future, and I'll see how long I can pull off. I haven't run anything longer than 6 lately and have'nt put too many miles in over the last couple of weeks. Go team!!