Thanksgiving was lovely. We had a glorious time cooking and ushering in the warmth and glow of the collective Holiday season that is now upon us. We brined a 20 pound Turkey over night, which produced succulent meat indeed. We cooked stuffing, and sweet potatoes, gravy, and pies. We had a house full of guests. It was lots of time together in the kitchen and at home as a family and with friends. Just as a holiday should be. And naturally, the only picture we have to show from it, is the one I took of the stuffing as I was posting the recipe to In Our Mix. Go figure.
The day after Thanksgiving while I was dreaming of my people back in the States doing Black Friday shopping, I took a bit of consolation in a Skyped phone call with my mother in Egypt while we cyber shopped together. It was a lovely way to spend two hours. Let's do it again next year mom!
But we did get to carry out one favorite after-Thanksgiving tradition as the Boys Scouts on base spared us the agony of a fake Christmas tree by importing 90 fresh trees from Oregon. We headed over to their sale Friday morning, and walked ourselves home a mini version of Christmas delight. Friday night was once again spent ushering in the joys of the new season.
(Is it okay that we don't require pants while decorating for Christmas?!) But the children needed an outing and it was a day ending in 9 (as in Nov. 29th), which meant right outside of the gates it was a "Market Day". The girls and I have gone several times, but the boys had never come with us. We ventured out into the cold to see what kind of Korean delights we might stumble across.
George scored this hat. Major Earnest is not entirely convinced that it was a good purchase. He is our ever vigilant fashion police, and this one barely scraped by.
But the girls' strawberry hats and scarves were completely endorsed and even bargained for by their loving father. When I walked up to the table and saw them, I knew I really wanted to buy them, but I said to Major Earnest I just wasn't sure I had enough fight in me to get them for a reasonable price. He just said to me, "How much do you want them for? I'm in the mood for a fight." And he totally got us a bargain indeed. (At which point I totally got a crush on him all over again.)
Of course, I think we are much stronger bargainers when we have our token blondes with us.

The next set of pictures we like to call: "Where Did Baby Jesus Go?"


7 comments:
What a wonderful holiday weekend! The stuffing looks delicious so I guess it makes up for not having pictures of all the other Thanksgiving Day festivities. Good for George to get a little freedom on is own personal style. However, I couldn't look at the picture without laughing. Hope he doesn't mind.
I'm so glad your foot held out for your 10 miler as well as your cold weather endurance. That does not sound like fun.
Oh, and I love the new style of writing on the pictures. Very creative.
What a warming post. I enjoy keeping up with you; especially since I feel as though I NEVER see you anymore. Where are those good ole' summer days?!
Okay, I relly like the pic of the kiddos by the tree? Hopefully the girls were the only ones with no britches on!!!
And George's hat...what's not to like? Besides, it SO Korea...good times to look back and laugh on :)
Sounds so fun and festive. I really need to pull out our xmas stuff now. I'm so glad you found a good tree. I've been trying to figure out how to send you one. That is a gorgeous wood nativity you have in that bottom picture -- where is that one from? BTW - where did Baby Jesus go? Not that Strawberry isn't a good substitute. Thanks for the update.
Cute! I love those mittens the girls got. They're getting so big I don't know if I can fully accept it yet.
Way to get the 10 miler done. Only one more long training run before the big day. I'm glad my race will take place in sunny CA. Any progress on the logo?
I'm thinking that wood nativity looks like one from Omar's in Jerusalem.
Strawberry short cake kind of adds...I have to say 6 months later and Avery is still asking if Ruby and Jane will be at playgroup and Evan talks about Henry a lot, about when he's ten Henry will come back, he Loves Henry's "Flame" pajamas...lots of things remind everyone of the Earnests. Your Thanksgiving stuffing looked amazing. (come on tell me you've had some kind of cooking blunder...) everything always looks "Martha Stewart"
Well, I had to make a square pie for example this year. That was a bit of a blunder. And the crust was supposed to be a baked Oreo cookie crust. And mine was just a crumbled Oreo cookie crust. No time to bake it. But the filling, that was no blunder! It was chocolate. YOu would have loved it. Of course I have blunders. I'll try to think of more examples!
Thanks for still thinking of us. Of course we haven't forgotten our friends in the least bit!
Love the new blog decor! I the girl's hats are gloves are to die for!
Post a Comment