And I am beside myself with joy. To celebrate, the boys insisted upon a party (as if that was a hard sell.). So we partied tonight. The treat fast came to an end. Our dreamy Fudgy Cake was baked. Oh, and fresh whipped cream was whipped up. Fudgy Cake never tasted so good, and that's hard to imagine because under normal circumstances it melts in your mouth.
Here is the recipe:
Mix #1:
1 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
3 T. butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
Mix #2:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. white sugar
3 T. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. boiling water
Preheat over to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9" square baking dish. Combine dry ingredients from Mix #1. Add liquid ingredients & blend well. Pour into baking dish. Combine Mix #2 ingredients except water. Sprinkle evenly over top of Mix #1 in dish. Pour boiling water over evenly (don't mix). Bake 40 minutes. Serve hot with ice cream or whipped cream.
But while you are busy baking yourself some Fudgy Cake, the treat fast resumes. From my second 1/2 marathon in Boise, which prompted me to run my first full marathon in Salt Lake City, my sister Rachel has been my ever faithful companion. She has been at all of my races, except for the Durango marathon (I'm sure she wanted to be). Anyway, we are going to race together again. She will run the Pasadena Rose Bowl 1/2 Marathon in December. With my whole body and soul I want to be with her, but circumstances will prevent that. To show solidarity, I will be running a solo race here on Osan Air Base on the same day. The details are being worked out, but it's sure to be a great event. I'll be wearing race number 1, so it will be hard to miss me. Rachel is the one who inspired me to go this long without treats, and she is going to continue on until race day. So I will too. (However, if Darin bakes a pie from scratch on Thanksgiving, which is highly likely, I will eat a piece).
Good bye to our 40 lonely days and nights. Hello to celebrating family togetherness and the joy of being in love. It's never easy to sail the ship alone, but we do tend to come away from these experiences a little bit stronger and more humble.
Enjoy the Fudgy Cake. I've got Major Earnest now to distract me from eating treats! Good night.
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
I'm so glad your hubby is HOME!!!
Seriously, you're not going to eat sweets until when??? I'm proud of your determination! Where can I buy some of that? :)
I meant to say one more thing... you have such a glow on your face!! Must be that you're totally in love with that guy!
wow what a relief to have him home and to get to eat that fudgy cake! i'm definitely going to have to make that sometime soon. that is funny about your solo race. will it be a half marathon? aren't there any "real" races you could do out there on the other side of the world?
Hooray! Hooray! Annee, I'm so happy for you that you are together again! And I'm glad you get to eat fudgy cake!
Phew! You made it! I asked Darin if he thought it smelled bad when he came back. I wondered if after so much time in the US he'd come back to Korea unadjusted to the smell proving that your world still stinks but that you're just used to it. He assured me that he didn't notice any smells upon his return.
I totally should've come to Durango...
I can't wait for our world-wide-unity race. It's going to be amazing. I'll keep working on the outfit.
How sweet - both having Major Earnest home as well as having a treat! I'm so glad Darin made it home and a family celebration was definitely in order. I'll have to try the fudgy chocolate cake. It sounds delicious. I'm also really liking those cute dishes in the background! I can't wait to hear about the Korean 1/2 marathon. Sounds like you'll take 1st place no matter what. That's encouraging!
I'm glad your hubby is home.
When is this world unifying race taking place? Can I get in on the action?
That picture says it all!
The world unification race (maybe we should change the name to Unofficial World Run Day?) is taking place on Saturday, December 13th. Any and all are welcome!!!!!!!!
Bonus points awarded for abstaining from treats until that time (with one free day on Thanksgiving). Only 4.5 weeks. You're the boss of you. Come on, you know you can do it!!!
Annee, I'm so happy for you guys!!!Thank goodness he's home. I am so happy for your children too. Love ya girly, Susan
Hugs XOXO :)
Count me in on the race. I'll wear Northern CA #1 on my shirt. It won't be pretty (I haven't run more than 8 miles at one time since before Grace was born), but I need something to rekindle my passion for long distance races. I'll see about the treat fast...
Hi guys- we'd like your address if you can email it to me-
marcus.earnest@cox.net
Thanks!
Hey guys...glad to see your family together again...Darin looks pretty happy to be back too.
Brooke
Oh, Happy Day! Single momming it for 40 days, and abstaining from treats are both major feats on their own. But abstaining WHILE being a single-mom? Now that's impressive!
BTW--random connection--One of Brian's best friends from college is Steve Loertscher, who is married to Rebecca (don't know her maiden name). Apparently Rebecca knew Darin while in Oregon? They just started a blog, which has a link from ours.
Your smile is so truly, down to the soul happy - I found myself smiling too! I'm so glad he's home and safely with his family again.
Hurray for Darin being home! 40 days is a long time to be in Korea wondering where the guy who moved you to Korea went! We are so happy he's back home now!
Post a Comment