Monday, March 14, 2011

We visited Spring.

I think I've mentioned that we got to host Ie Li and her three little ones last week.  It was adorable.  She is up to her ears in a nursing baby, a three-year old boy (!), and her very own nearly 5 year-old drama queen.  I love watching her in the middle of that three ring circus.  It reminds me of my days gone by.  They are some of my happiest memories to-date.  But maybe mostly in retrospect :)








While they were here, we ventured over to see what Spring had done at Duke Gardens.  When we were pulling up, Jane said, "Dad, are we going to destroy this place, because it's Duke?".  The rivalry around here is pretty serious.  So much for not taking sides!

No, we did not destroy that place, instead we were blown away by it's beauty.  We are very sorry that our Tar Heels had to lose to the Blue Devils while our company was in town, but we are not sorry that Duke has such a lovely garden so close to our home!







Jane wore a new spring skirt to the gardens.  For more details, read HERE.


It was a lovely afternoon.  We followed it up by stopping at our favorite frozen yogurt spot, which is run by a group of Korean business men.  We love telling them about how we just moved here from Korea.  It's fun every time.  

We'll have to go back to the gardens again soon.  The tulips were all sprouted, but not in bloom.  It will be spectacular when they are.  Wanna come with us?!  

Also, don't forget to check out this weeks sister update over at my sister Sarah's blog.  Someone went ice fishing last week...that fact alone is worth a CLICK

7 comments:

Rachel F. said...

Um yeah, I do want to come. It'll be a nice replacement for the Thanksgiving Point Tulip Festival.

Also, we have a bunch of those red birds living in the tree right outside our door. I've been meaning to call Gma Z to get the inside scoop about the bird. They're so pretty! And inspiring me to get a bird feeder. But then I remember how you had to fill your bird feeder so much that you basically had to factor bird seed into your budget. So we'll see..

http://earnestreview.blogspot.com/2008/04/about-friday-which-was-yesterday.html

Annee said...

He's called the Eastern Cardinal. I would guess Grandma Z. doesn't see many of them up in the Wasatch Mountains. But are you aware of the Peterson Guide to Backyard Bird app? It is a wealth of information when trying to identify birds. And it includes a feature where it plays their call. We were having loads of fun playing the Eastern Cardinal call while in Duke Gardens, and listening for the responses. Oh it was fun.

Thanks for the link. That was a blast from that past. I miss our bird feeder. And yeah, once you get a steady bird population coming to your feeder, it's a serious investment in bird seed. And if you leave your feeder empty for too many days, your population totally shrinks, and you have to wait many days for them to come back after you fill it up again. It's crazy. But totally worth it!

Ie Li said...

Adorable. That is one way to look at it. :) I will be coming again to visit the gardens in full bloom. I mean, why not?

sarah said...

Is that a magnolia tree with those pretty pink flowers? Maybe I need one of those. The garden looks beautiful. I love that red bridge. And the bird app? Perfectly nerdy.

Rachel - keeping the birdfeeder filled is a pain, so just make sure it's in a spot that's easily accessiIble. Also having the seed sprout in the grass below was a problem for us, so just be careful not to spill too much. But yes, it's pretty fun to see the birds come.

Nrpple said...

Oh the red bridge! Beautiful. It makes me want to come visit just to take family pictures on that bridge! (And to see you guys of course) I finally got around to making your bow bag. Very nice tutorial. Maybe I'll post it on my blog with a link back to MOM....since you know I have so many followers...:) Glad to see you are doing well!
Brooke

Annee said...

Brooke, please post your bag. I totally want to see it! And COME VISIT!

KevandChels said...

i'll go to the duke gardens with you, and i'll rent some older boys so your boys have some company:) but seriously, i'll go with you!