...For a blog update. Also, because I'm into choices, I might have titled this one, "The First Day of the Rest of His Life...Darin Gets His iPhone". (stay tuned to the end of the post for some of his first iPhone photos. They're worth hanging on for.)
But really, the first title encompasses that news as well, it was time already.
We moved into our house in Chapel Hill
Here's the one interior shot only barely ready for a close-up.
We arrived here in Chapel Hill on July 9th, exactly two weeks later on July 23rd our first shipment from Korea arrived. On the 13th our stuff that had been in storage for two years arrived, so we started sleeping at the house. But that was a full 10 days on air mattresses before our beds arrived. To say we were ready to move out of hotels, is mostly an understatement:
(Thanks to the Major for this sweet window into my reality! I know, Sleeping Beauty wishes she could look this good when she is sleeping.)
One good part about living in hotels, and waiting forever for our kitchen stuff to arrive, meant we kept eating out. And really, that would be tragic too, if Chapel Hill wasn't "America's Foodiest Small Town." We are out to prove it's a title that is warranted. We're doing our best to hit up every local establishment that has generated a buzz...
Darin had heard about Elmo's Diner, so one rare morning when we were up and ready for breakfast when it was still breakfast time, we went over to check it out. Henry was delighted to order the traditional biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Darin and I were excited to try grits without having to order it for ourselves.
The fact that we were there on the morning when breakfast Chilaquiles were the morning special felt prophetic to me. Though I'm sometimes torn when I answer the question "where are you from (as in where did I grow up)". Do I say California, do I say Maryland? But when it comes to food I am a Californian at heart and if Mexican food can be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner, it's considered the most delicious sort of day! I'm still dreaming about Elmo's Chilaquiles!!
The first night after our stuff arrived, Aunts Rachel and Christine arrived too! We were so excited to welcome our first house guests.
And the best thing about their 2am arrival was that it gave us plenty of time to at least unpack the kitchen boxes before our house guests arrived! Nothing like a little motivation to bust out the vaccum for the first time either. It worked beautifully.
The weekend went by too quickly. But they are only four hours away. We'll do it again very soon I hope. Next time I'll even put sheets on their beds.
Their arrival also gave us an excuse to go check out Mama Dip's, which instantly became endeared to all of us when a side of Mac and Cheese was listed under the available "vegetables" you could choose. Only in the South!
In conclusion their fried chicken and chicken fried steaks were everything you could hope for. Their Red Velvet Cake was tremendous. The Coconut Custard Cream pie left me wishing I had ordered the Red Velvet Cake.
And yeah, if you're wondering if all we do in Chapel Hill is go out to eat, let me assure you it's not. We also swim (which deserve a few photos because it's so beautiful, but we don't have any), go to the mall, and occasionally visit botanical gardens, this time it was to Duke's prized gardens:
I hope this picture properly conveys how excited the children were to be at a botanical garden, instead of at the pool.
P.S. Here are the promised iPhone photos. And if you don't think I'm embarrassed that they are more photos about us going out to eat, then you don't know me very well. But I'm not embarrassed that Darin and I jump at the chance to go out on a steamy date to Franklin St., or about how I hope this is only the first of many times that we bring home treats from Sugarland.
That's the mosaic built into the cement on the ground as you walk into the shop. So, so cute!




9 comments:
wowee, what an amazing home to be living in!!! I want more pictures of the home.. oh, and I wish there were photos of the sugar "yummies" you brought home from Sugarland!
I'm glad ya'll are enjoying the South! Thank goodness your stuff arrived! How's the heat?? :)
The best grits I ever ate were in Asheville, NC and they were made with basil and feta cheese. I'd go back to Asheville just for the grits, but in general I'm not really a grit fan.
Karen I promise more pictures of the home as it takes shape. It's a work in progress right now. But I know you understand that! And yeah, I should have taken pictures of the cupcakes before we devoured them. Next time...
Welcome to North Carolina! Your home is lovely and I can't wait to follow your NC adventures. I thought grits were nasty at first but now I'm a convert. Try Paula Deen's baked version. We just came back from Utah too and I think we should start the proud sno cone shack tradition here in the south to beat the heat!!!
So glad to see your're settling in... our family is setting a goal to come and visit you next summer...so get ready! Your house looks amazing...that porch! Do you sit outside and read on it all the time? I'm pretty sure that's what I would be doing.
Did you get an iPhone too? Or just Darin? If so, are you enjoying it? We just upgraded to the iPhone 4 and are loving it, except for the part where we can't make calls from our home...that's kind of a bummer.
Anyway, glad to see you're settling in!
Brook
Love the house! So colonial - I want to come visit it (I mean you)!
I think I'm going to miss your Korea posts...but Chapel Hill looks pretty cool, and it must be because you're there with Allison! I couldn't believe when she told me that...you both are lucky dogs. Can't wait to follow your new adventures. And seriously, LOVE the house.
I LOVE the yellow house! What a gorgeous, happy color. It looks like a true Southern belle house. :) I'm bummed I missed seeing you when you were here last month. Hope you're still settling in well and enjoying being back together ... and in the States.
Post a Comment