Much like last year, I've decided at least while I live in Korea that making gifts is the way to go for most of my friends and family (hope you guys don't mind!). It does mean starting towards the end of November I'm immersed in gift making. It's a lovely ritual for the most part because I apparently love to sew. And given the fact that we have a mailing deadline, I always can see the light at the end of the sewing tunnel, so to speak. But this year, as soon as the packages got mailed off, I remembered two other gifts that I wanted to make, these ones for the ladies.
Months ago while craft blog surfing, I came upon a tutorial on how to make a mermaid tail. Ruby happened to be standing right by me, and saw the pictures of little girls running around with mermaid tails on, and instantly decided she needed one. She later found some sparkly purple fabric at the Happy Quilt and has asked me repeatedly when am I going to make one for her?!
Shhh, please don't tell her, but she'll have 2 wrapped up under the Christmas tree. Just in case it isn't fun to be a mermaid all alone, I made her a second one to decide if she wants a certain sister to be a mermaid with her. But the choice will be hers to make. Had I known how easy these mermaid tails were going to be, I might have made them months ago!! In case you are in need of a mermaid tail, here's the tutorial.
And you know what, I totally agreed with her. She doesn't know it yet, but under the tree she'll have her dreamed of polka dotted blanket, complete with the letter "J" appliqued in the fabric that she specified. And just for added love, it's backed completely in a fuzzy white minky fabric. The polka dot grid came together surprisingly (and thankfully) fast.
I couldn't be more pleased to make these kinds of Christmas dreams come true! I know people say things like, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree", so I'm sure many of you aren't surprised that my girls wanted some homemade gifts for Christmas, but I remain enormously pleased that they have already learned to love my handmade offerings. What sweet ladies indeed!
Now it's time to start wrapping!

5 comments:
Just lovely! Seeing all of your sewiung projects is very inspiring, and I have an itch to use this new sewing machine of mine for something other than hemming kids' jammie pants.
Elizabeth wears the same spring "twirling dress" every (yes, EVERY) day. Do you have a simple, beginners twirly-skirt pattern?
Your tree, bucket and all, is gorgeous! I love the owl and bird theme.
Please tell Jane and Ruby they are the luckiest little girls in the world. Mermaid tails and polka dot blankets!?! Seriously lucky little girls! With good taste, of course, for handmade goods!
Well your hand-made gifts are just easy to love. Yes, they are great girls, and very pretty in their Christmas outfits, but you are also very talented when it comes to creating things for them. Hannah was sad the other day and pulled out all of my Korean fabric just to look at and admire. It made her happy instantly and I imediately thought of you. I need to work harder on being a good "girl" mom. New Year's resolution I suppose.
I think all of their Christmas dreams will come true. Great job on their gifts.
Please video tape their reaction, or skype us in. I can't bear the anticipation!
You are so amazing. This was so touching to me.
Post a Comment