Henry's school class was going to sing at the annual tree lighting ceremony on Thursday night. They sent the notice home, and I wrote it down on my calendar. Henry was to show up at 5:10pm for the lighting ceremony which would happen at 5:45. I was doing all kinds of things to make sure we were going to be there as a whole family. I sent Henry out the door right at 5:10 and told him to walk himself down to Base Theater where his class was gathering. I fed kids dinner early. I had everyone dressed, etc. But at 5:30 when the Major suggested we should walk out the front door, I suggested we still had fifteen minutes before it "said" it was going to start.
Still, we left pretty close to 5:30, all bundled up and prepared to listen to the music and enjoy the glittering festivities. So I thought it was kind of strange that the closer we got to the base theater, the number of people who were walking the other direction. And Darin tried to tell me about 1/4 mile away that the tree was already lit up, but I countered that I thought the tree had been lit up all week, and the "lighting" ceremony was mostly the kids singing, and I was sure we had not missed it. But sure enough, when we finally got in front of the Theater, there was Henry wandering around all alone, sipping some hot cocoa, because the singing happened right about 5:35.
Then everyone blamed me for everything going wrong. The kids missed the lights. Santa was leaving on his fire truck, etc, etc., and everyone turned to ME to ask why we missed it all.
What can one do? I tried my hardest. And that's my only defense. I really thought I knew what I was doing. Needless to say, that story pretty much sums up how I feel about the entire start of the month of December. I seem to be ten minutes late and out-of-the-loop, everyday. We don't even have the advent calendar out yet. I think I'm a little bit in denial that Christmas is really coming. I feel the need for some time laps photos in a blog post in the near future. I know I say it almost every time I write, but it's because I think it to myself every SINGLE day...Where does the time go?! Really. Where?
Unrelatedly, people often tell me how much they wish they had twins. I think it's a funny comment, because I don't really think there are that many ladies walking around with a four month old baby wishing she were walking around with TWO four month old babies. But maybe there are? But sometimes I understand what people mean, especially this week when I was sitting at Ruby's Make Over Store...Because I didn't just have one four year old who wanted to doll me up, I had TWO. And then, I felt really special.
P.S. If I look really old and tired in this pictures, it's because sadly I am. I am both old and always tired!
P.P.S. Boy oh boy did I look fine. The girls were beside themselves at their creation. Jane kept saying over and over again how she had never seen a hairdo like mine before. And I said, "I surely haven't either!" And they couldn't wait for the Major to walk through the door to take a picture of me standing next to him. It turned out so awful. I'll admit it, I have too much pride to post that picture!
Friday, December 04, 2009
Christmas is coming!!
Posted by Annee at 5:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
That is a really sad story, and sadly the story of my life these days too. You try your best, but inevitably things fall through the cracks.
You do look quite smashing. Too bad you didn't have a big party to go to that night.
Oh man. Such a bummer. I guess things on an AF Base run like the Major runs things - always 15 minutes early. Who knew?
And I think twins look like fun but more work then I could handle. I'm always amazed with how you handle it all.
I think the makeover covers up your old and tiredness. I think it makes you look young and energetic! Probably J and R should help you do your hair every day!!
That is a sad tree-lighting story--despite my best intentions, I always seem to be the Mom running late to everything, too. To which Ella demands an answer for, in her loudest voice possible "MOM-Why were you so late???"
And I love the makeover--I suppose I've never considered documenting any of mine on camera. You do look smashing. Tired, absolutely---but you're definitely NOT old. If you are old, then I am old, and I'm not ready for that yet.
Jana, I wasn't ready to call myself old either, until all saw all those smile wrinkles. I mean, I'm proud they are wrinkles from smiling, but sad that they are wrinkles.
But I agree, we are not old yet. And I suppose my tiredness is a badge of honor if it means that I'm being there for my kids.
I vividly remember doing those type of hairstyles on my mom and uncle John and Steve's girlfriends. It was like the more stuff you could get into the hair the better!
I like the idea that tiredness is a badge of honor. I think I would get at least two right now. :) Everytime I read your posts I miss you guys. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and if you ever figure out where the time is going let me know. I need to figure that one out too. Oh, and thanks for feeding Adam. I know he appreciates the food and company.
Annee, I feel for you.
It's like a passenger once said to the bus driver, "There are a thousand reasons for a bus to be late, but no excuse for it to be early."
Give us a chance!
Post a Comment