Sunday, July 12, 2009

Are you ready? I'm back.



After seven weeks back in the states surrounded by family and friends, it was sadly time to come back home to Korea. People are asking me now, "How was your trip?". Or when they really want to know, they say, "Are you glad you went?".

It's impossible to put into words just how glad I am that we went. We got to see all 49 members of our immediate family. Plus 3 great-grandparents. I got to have sleepovers with 3 of my oldest and dearest friends. One in Northern California, one in Las Vegas, and one in La Canada.

We drove approximately 4691 miles in order to accomplish it all (but really, who was counting?!). Passing through seven states, Japan, and Guam. Slept in 8 different hotels. Stayed in 9 different houses. Had 3 different rental cars. In short, it was a logistical nightmare. It was not a trip for the squeamish, nor for those who need things mapped out or planned ahead.

But I wouldn't take back any single part of it. Yes, the trek was arduous. Sometimes the distances seemed insurmountable. But to go and do and see, so much and so many. To feel so loved, and blessed, and grateful. To witness an honest to goodness miracle when we got back to Travis Air Force base in California where people notoriously get stuck waiting for a flight back to Korea, just ONE day before a flight was actually going back to Korea. On top of that, being back there in time for Darin to fly with us. And then having our names be the FIRST name on the list to get called, so that even though we stopped in Hawaii and Guam, staying over night both places, the plane never broke down, nor got diverted. And that we landed all together back at Osan Air Base on Saturday evening, July 11th, at 5pm just as though it was exactly what we had planned to do.

It's almost too much to even believe.


But then, remembering just how many of the prayers offered during those seven weeks and 4600 miles by me, and on our behalf by all 49 members of our immediate family (and probably many of our friends), perhaps it isn't miraculous at all. Perhaps I should have known it all along.

Anyway, am I glad we went? ABSOLUTELY.

It it hard to come back. TOTALLY.

Are the 25 loads of laundry waiting for me worth it? YOU BETCHA.

Am I glad I don't have to do it again? YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

Have I ever felt so lucky in all my life? NEVER.


Our first two stops were Liz's house in Atherton, and Sarah's house in Provo, that's when I was still blogging. After we hit the beaches, that's when I quit. I was absolutely too busy living at the beach to blog. Not to mention that Darin had arrived, and he had been a lot of my motivation in keeping the trip documented. But once he was with me, my motivation to stay on top of it wavered. So here are some of my favorites from the Zackrison Family Beach week 2009:





















I think that's all I can do tonight. This is now our third night back in this time zone. We don't take naps. We power through all day long, and operate with the cycle of the sun. But the sun has long since gone down, and now it's time for me to go down as well. But I'm back. I'm determined that right along side of the laundry, the blog will get back up to date. I have a lot to say after being gone for so long, so stay tuned.

6 comments:

Grandma Z said...

I'm so glad you are back safe and sound. It was wonderful to be part of your Miracle Tour.
Love, Grandma and Grandpa Z

AP said...

wow -- the trip sure looks crazy by the numbers. becca and i are happy we got to visit with you at sarah's. take care!

Jana said...

Now, that's a "vacation". Well done! You give me hope that I can conquer two weeks out West myself. I too, felt a moment of sadness that you are in Korea and not Colorado--sigh. That would have been too cool. I'm sure it was hard to go back, but probably feels good to settle back into a routine and home life.

Sarah said...

Annee I'm so glad you made it and you got to take such an awesome adventure this summer. Nice job tallying the numbers. Good luck settling back into the daily grind. I'll be checking in from time to time for more sewing inspiration.

Nancy O. said...

Thanks for stopping by on your adventure, it was great to see you

Jim said...

For some reason your gils look so grown up all of a sudden! I guess if Elizabeth is 4, they are too- right? Glad it was such a successful vacation. Good luck with the laundry...:)
~karin