Annee:
(Do you have the pocketbooth app? Maybe you should.)
Last Week:
- Missed the Rebecca Skloot speech at NC State. We had just returned from Hotlanta the night before. The house and our lives were somewhat in chaos. Stepping out of the house at 4:30pm to not return before 9 or 10 seemed like a risky move. But Darin and I both agreed we needed a little date. We opted to leave the house around 7. Eat a simple dinner out, and then head over to the theater to see if we could still catch a showing of "The Help". Darin didn't know a thing about it. Except he thought it was going to be a girly movie. I think he actually really liked it.
- Hosted my Cooking Club. I haven't laughed that long or that hard in a long time! Were we laughing about lemonade?! Let me just say, everything is hilarious at cooking club. And the food is always delicious. I made Mango Lassis as our cocktail. And I brought THIS as my dish. The day after cooking club, I had to try this Brazilian Lemonade recipe which was such a delightful summer nightcap.
- Finished my quilt!!!! Oh man did that feel great!
- Had a tri-ward primary meeting to clean out the nursery toys! It lasted a few hours. At the end, I decided I needed to go watch a movie. I wanted to catch "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" before it left the foreign film theater. But somehow my request got confused as I was buying my ticket. When the movie started I realized I was in the theater for "Queen of Play". In the end, I decided to just stay. I do love an evening spent listening to French. As a side note, I was once again reminded of a fashion principle that most real French women have. They have only a few key pieces to their wardrobes. They are usually high quality and really well fitting. They wear them often and repeatedly, changing out accessories, shoes, or whatever. I think it's not about quantity to the French, it's about quality, and how well it fits. I think this was a good reminder for me. (PS-I'm kind of sad that I missed Snow Flower. It was one of the best books I read this year.)
- Took the kids and some friends to the beach on Friday. I'm so glad we've figured out how to do the beach as a day-trip. All that vitamin D does something for my soul.
- Ran 13 miles on Saturday which brought my weekly total up to around 34. I really need the tempts to start cooling off. The miles just keep climbing from here on out!
- We took a trip to Atlanta. It remains completely undocumented. It was a fabulous trip. We all had such a great time. I should document it.
This week:
- Back to school night for Henry is on Monday night. Good thing too, we don't have a clue about what to expect out of the 6th grade. Not a clue! Good thing he is so easy going. He doesn't seem to even mind that he doesn't know a thing about what to expect at his new middle school!!
- Tuesday Darin goes back to school. I think he's going to miss his epic summer break.
- Tuesday the elementary school will post their teacher lists and host a back-to-school/meet-your-teacher event that night. Big day around here!
- Wednesday we will do something to commemorate the end of a tremendous summer! A special dinner? A special outing? Maybe a special dessert?
- Thursday-EVERYONE GOES TO SCHOOL. Oh how I hope it all goes well. This is going to be a huge transition for all of us. We sure love staying up late and sleeping in late.
- Host a baby shower on Saturday. I really want it to be cute. I better start working on that!
Sarah:
Last Week:
- Hired a couple guys to come over and finally move postal box cabinet into the house. I've cleaned about half of it - my fingers are sore from opening the little latches so much
- Was recognized by a woman in a store from being on Courtney's blog
- Went to Velour one night to see a band who wants to play at the Rooftop Concert Series next year - hung out with Tyler Glenn (lead singer from Neon Trees)
- Felt pretty cool for having such famous friends, and then spent the bulk of my day on Saturday in front of a computer writing code which reinforced my innate nerdiness
- Back-to-school shopping for the boys was done online this year - new shoes and new tshirts for the first day. We'll build up a fall/winter wardrobe when the weather calls for it.
- Didn't get to bed earlier than 2am any nights this week, which meant I didn't get to get up to exercise at all. Someday.
- Finally forced June to try out the "big slide" at 7-peaks holding her tight on my lap in spite of her kicking and screaming. She said she hated it at the time, but when Scott got home she was so proud to report to him that she'd done it. The next day she wanted to do it again. Had to pay Brenden to babysit Huck in the baby pool.
- Huck figured out how to go under water and loves to show off his "new trick". He comes up every time with such a surprised face - doesn't ever close his mouth or eyes
- All 4 kids got haircuts! I let them go all summer long but it was finally time. Wow they look so much better.
This Week:
- BACK TO SCHOOL!!!! That's it. I can't think beyond that. I'm so excited to get back to a routine. I'm sure once things pick up again and get crazy with homework and projects and making lunches I'll look back longingly at our lazy summer schedule, but I don't care. For now I'm just excited.
- Cub Scouts committee meeting
- Wasatch Elementary fall festival silent auction planning meeting
- Rooftop Concert Series volunteer meeting
- RACHEL COMES TO TOWN!!! Paper chain has been made
- Lower Lights fireside in SLC
- Lower Lights recording this weekend
- Need to take a trip to SLC to go to Anthropology during Friends & Family week - will this be our last one?! Consider buying this from Urban Outfitters. Shoot - looks like the table I was going to get is already gone. WILL I EVER LEARN?!?!
- Finish cleaning the postal cabinet and put the room back together
- Buy mirror - I've been shopping antique stores for a round gilded mirror for the living room, and of course have regretted not getting the first one I saw on my hunt. Hopefully it will still be there.
- Hire a yard crew. I give up. I need to take something off my plate and it should probably be the yard work.
- Cook at least one crock pot meal - gotta get back to cooking dinner!
Ana:
Last Few Weeks:
- Real Life exploded. I discovered a development problem at work which had me having to work 8+ hours a day while taking care of Jack. Most days I am grateful for my job...but not this month. Our internet broke during month end and I had to go to work at Kinkos until the wee hours of the morning, we had 4 ant appointments to try to deal with our ongoing ant problem, plumbing appointments for leaking sinks, DMV appointments, doctors appointments, unpacked boxes taunting me, a fridge that broke down for a week, a broken dish disposal, a call from the school district informing us that Jack is the only Kindergartener in our area that they don't have space for causing me to fly into mad panic and spend my free time checking out the other options in the district, stomach pain causing me to spend the day at the hospital as they worried I was having an appendicitis, and Jack sick with a high fever. All of this pushed me beyond my pregnancy hormonal breaking point and I called my mom in tears and flew her out to help me in early August. She leaves on the 31st and I am way more prepared to handle life then I was a month ago. Moms are the best.
This next week:
- Finish fixing the work problems before this baby decides to show up and add another element of chaos to my life!-Take Jack to Kindergarten orientation on Friday to meet his teacher and other kids in his class (school starts Monday the 29th). They have a "Boo Hoo Breakfast" for the Kindergarten parents after we drop off our kids on Monday. Jack thinks this idea is hilarious. That me and the other moms are going to go eat breakfast and cry. Someday little boy your wife will understand.
- My final ultrasound at 34 weeks. This will be the deciding factor on whether we prepare for a scheduled c-section most likely between 37-38 weeks if my placenta previa hasn't completely resolved itself. Also, we found out the baby was breech at an appointment last week when the silly nurse couldn't find the heartbeat for five minutes causing me to go back into full panic attack. It took the doctor 10 seconds to find it and pronounce the baby breech giving me a second condition that would require a c-section more then likely at 39 weeks. Monday is the ultrasound so fingers crossed!
- Celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary! I couldn't have asked for a kinder, more loving man then Zack. Seriously his patience, love and understanding continually make me the luckiest.
- Research car crash safety ratings and purchase an infant seat so if this baby comes in the next 3 weeks we will be able to take it home with us.-Decide on a name for this dear baby. It took me 3 weeks to actually call Jack by his name. I now love that he is Jack, so I might just have to accept that I might not be in love with any boy name from the get go.
Ie Li:
Last Week:
- Last swim lessons of the summer. Sad.
- Visiting teaching
- Temple with Steve.
- Babysat for a friend.
- Painted the interior of my front door black. It was all very impulsive, but I like the results.
- Started sanding down a side table in preparation for painting.
- Steve completed his first drywall repair job. He did a great job.
- Got the okay from my doctor to start running. I do need to buy new running shoes. It turns out that I pronate, even though all these years of going to specialty running stores, told me otherwise.
- Made my first truly delicious loaves of 100% whole wheat bread.
- Received letters in the mail revealing the teachers of my children this school year.
- Visit friends
- Start running
- Live up the last week of summer. School starts on the 29th!
Rachel:
Last Week:
- We saw The Help and it was amazing. Seriously one of the best movies I've seen in so long.
- Visited Uncle John's house on Lake Wynona! It's a pretty small lake. It was really fun to go tubing. Too bad the boat ran out of gas! I'd really like to go water skiing again. Ken and Steve were pro.
- Sadly did not go see Rebecca Skloot's speech at UNC. I hope Annee will give us a report.
- Chatted with Summer for 2 hours! So good to catch up. We're figuring out how we can live nearby each other again within the next 5 years. CO maybe?
- Saw lovely pictures of Tracy's wedding from mom. So happy for her.
- Got a haircut. The girl didn't do as good this time. Darn it!!
- A major rain storm knocked out our power on Friday night so we up and went to the movies to see One Day with Anne Hathaway. Overall it wasn't that great of a movie. But it did make Ken really sad.
- Pre-shopped with CZ for Anthro Days.
- Looked into Ceramic wheel throwing classes in the area. I plan to start one up right after October 15. So excited!!
- I'm going to Utah! I'll be there Thursday through Sunday morning. I chose to fly out of Provo because I'm curious to test it out. Can't wait! I wish Ken could come. He is teaching 50 hours for Kaplan this week. Yikes.
- I have a running list of Utah to-dos (aside from obvious family time!). There's a fabric store I want to visit, check for treasures at Downeast and any antique stores, hike the Y, pick up my scrapbook supplies from the storage unit, run in Provo canyon (or bike ride with dad?), bring back bottles of our favorite salsa and some fry sauce.
- Did you know they discontinued my favorite kind of garments? I bought out all the warehouse's remaining stock. There's one more store I can check in UT. Sad.
- Continue to plan our Christmas Card! I can't stop thinking about it! I'm so excited. We have our photos booked with BlueLily. Now I just need to plan our outfits, design the card, send it off to Rowley Press, etc.
- Finish our wedding album. The pictures expire online on Labor Day.
- Figure out if Ken's sister will visit us over Labor Day. Sounds fun!
Christine:
Last couple weeks:
- Looked at more houses and apartments. I think I've pretty much narrowed it down, though I'm terrible at actually pulling the trigger and making a decision.
- Went to the zoo. I'd like to take more advantage of all of the free activities in DC, so Jon and I ventures out to the zoo one day. It was pretty fun and luckily not too hot.
- Enjoyed 24 hours up at Uncle John's lake house. I thought it was a perfect little introduction to the area and I loved the time on the boat! (and I'm glad we didn't break it!)
- Worked a few shifts at Anthropologie. It's been pretty slow at the store and I don't have a ton of hours, but I've been enjoying getting to know the people at this store and seeing the differences. Remember Anthro days starts today!!
- Saw Crazy, Stupid, Love and The Help. I loved The Help and definitely shed a few tears, I thought it was a pretty great representation of the book. I ended up going to see it by myself after accidentally falling asleep in my car after work one day when I was supposed to meet Rachel and Ken to go see it. By the time I woke up and walked into the theater pretty close behind the Fitzgeralds, the movie was sold out. Pretty big fail right there.
- Did a day trip to the beach!! Tuesday I went with some friends to Rehoboth Beach and I loved it!! We left super early at 5:30 and got there in two hours, had breakfast, then sat on the beach until we left at 2. I was glad to see that a day trip to the beach is possible and hopefully will do a few more before the weather turns too cold. I always love seeing the differences between west coast and east coast beaches.
- Drove to Morgantown on Saturday to visit for a few days and participate in all of the festivities that are taking place as school starts back up. It's interesting being in a college town at the start of a school year and not be going back to school myself. I'll be honest I don't envy any of them at all as I see them all getting ready for classes. I'm definitely happy to be done with school. (Though I'm not sure that actually means I'm ready to start working a real job, eep!)
Next week:
- Hopefully make a final decision on an apartment. I know this has been on my to-do list for awhile now and it's getting down to the wire. My future roommate, Jaklyn, is driving out labor day weekend, hopefully I have a place for her to land!
- Work Wednesday and Saturday and possibly try to pick up some other shifts.
- Possibly try to go to the beach on Friday. I don't have work or anything else and now that I know it's possible the lure is hard to resist.
- Buy a plane ticket to Utah. I'm hoping to go visit at the beginning of September. It's possible I'm missing the Utah based part of the family and feel like I still have some lose ends to tie up at my old house and whatnot.
- Run a few times. I've actually been doing pretty good about running at least a couple times a week which is pretty big for me.
- Try to figure out some way to go riding. With all this free time I really would like to find a barn that I could start riding at now and then continue once I start working.







10 comments:
Ah so much to say!! Will return soon...
Annee, congrats on finishing your quilt. I love how it turned out. Congratulations also on your 13 mile run. I feel so behind on running. I have zero miles under my belt and yet somehow I'm supposed to run 13 in November. I better get to work.
Sarah, you're so blog/Provo famous. One of these days I'm going to make it to one of your rooftop concerts. I have that very same lamp in my UO shopping cart, except in yellow. I'm thinking for Mi Na's room right by the rocking chair. Although the gold one would look good in my living room. Hmmm.
Ana, life sounds a little crazy right now. Glad the kindergarten thing seems to have worked out. Did you find another public school nearby or is it a private school?
Rachel, how fun to get to go back to Provo. I guess this is for recruiting? I'm dying to see "The Help." I loved the book. I'm thinking that it will happen next weekend. When we were at the temple, Steve looked at me and said, "we should have asked Rachel and Ken to come with us." I don't know why we didn't think of that earlier. Next month?
Christine, is Jon back at school now? Good luck on pulling the apartment trigger. And, it's so nice to have you in Virginia. Thanks for coming.
email comments please.
Annee - what was the underlying purpose for your Atlanta trip? We really need to have one of those multi-ward primary meetings to clean out our closet!
Ana - that is so great that your mom was able to come out and help you, because, yeah, that list of "life" stuff sounds kind of awful. What school did you end up at? I agree about baby names - they always seem like an awkward fit at first.
Ie Li - what color did the inside of your door use to be? Did you ever paint the outside of your door? I can't remember - weren't you looking at reds at one point? Yes that lamp in yellow is super cute too.
RZF - why was Ken sad about the movie? What's your favorite Utah salsa? What are your plans for your card?
CZ - my favorite way to "pull the trigger" on pretty much anything is to wait long enough to have missed out on my first choice - that will teach you a lesson and help you be sure to get your second choice. So yeah, just take it from me. YEAH! COME TO UTAH!!! What loose ends do you need to tie up at your house? Anything I can help with from here?
Not sure how the rest of you feel about it, but being on Annee's blog is so much bigger than meeting Tyler Glenn. Holla! I have arrived!
Sarah, the inside used to be white. Still looking for reds. Ralph Lauren paint is no longer at Home Depot, but I just found a place that sells it. I really wanted to try your "stadium red."
Hi Courtney, I'm a little starstruck right now.
Ha! Ha! Courtney. Quit pulling my leg. You're invited over anytime.
So much great content here. It's impossible to address it all...
Ana have you had the ultrasound? Will it be a c-section? I'm so glad you know when to ask for help. I'm sure your mom loved coming to the rescue!
Sarah, you shouldn't be on anymore committees! You have a postal box to clean. I'm really excited to hear about Huck not being afraid of water. You deserved to get one of those kinds of kids afterall. Can't wait to hear about back-to-school. I'm so excited for that day!! Online shopping is super smart.
Rachel you are pinning up a storm on Pinterest about your holiday card inspiration. I'm excited for your Bluelily photo shoot. But I'll admit I'm a little confused why you are so very, very excites about it. A pottery class?! I love your joi to vivre!
CZ, you are going to turn into a runner afterall. P.S. You fell asleep in your car and missed a movie. That is totally random. You better find your apartment before labor day. I'm imagining a super awkward interaction with the new roommate as you tried to explain the situation to her.
Ie Li, I LOvE impulsive painting projects. You should paint the exterior black too, while you're on a roll.
I love you guys!
Rachel, I meant to ask why you were so excited about the actual Christmas card. Not the photo shoot. The photo shoot I understand.
Sarah, we went to Atlanta to the attend Justin's wedding reception. uncle Dave let the kids ride one of his golf carts all around their neighborhood. Major highlight of the trip. I believe the trip mostly happened because the Braves were in town, and Darin has wanted to go to a Braves game his whole life!
So much great content.
First, dad is looking trim. Maybe less shocking the next time he bares his chest on his ward's slip n slide. I would recognize that green sludge anywhere from my Outdoor Recreation class, that's gotta be Utah Lake.
Annee I want to be in a cooking club so badly. But I'm not saintly enough to form a cooking club, because then you have to be extra sweet to everyone who has the courage to join your club and that's hard. I'll save that goal for 2012. I have not even heard of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. No one warned me that my independent film viewing would drop dramatically post-marriage.
Also Annee, please let me know if I can be of further assistance in achieving a cute baby shower.
Sarah that picture is ridiculously amazing. AND you managed to scoop CJane on it! Well timed. I knew it was only a matter of time before you were recognized! What on earth did she say? That is so fun. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE WILEY CHILDREN!!! I'll take a turn scrubbing the boxes.
Also Sarah, why don't you meet me at Anthro after I land around 11:30am on Thursday? I might also buy that lamp you linked. It's perfect!! I can be your crock pot chef while I'm in town! It would be fun to sneak a peak at the recording session!
ANA YOUR LIFE MAKES ME TIRED!! I am so glad your mom could come help. That is perfect. I got sweaty palms just reading about that ultra sound nurse! How gut wrenching! Are we going to get a sneak peak at the name list?
IeLi someone at church told me there's a VA state law called King's Dominion Law which mandates VA schools to start after Labor Day. Is that true??
CZ what's an update on the apartment? I encouraged her to offer $300 less than he was asking. I hope you did! It was sad that you missed the movie. I totally thought you were inside already otherwise I would've bought you a ticket! I like visiting you at Anthro. Next time invite me to the beach? :-)
Now to address the other comments.
Courtney! Don't be a stranger. That purple tone looks very good on you. That was really my first thought when I saw the photo. Then I thought, is his chest that hairy? Button up...
Ie Li we would love to go to the temple with you guys! Let us know. Even though it's been a year now, I still feel like a major beginner.
Ken was sad about the movie because the wife dies. He's very sentimental. Our favorite Utah salsa is just the plain old Private Select black bean & corn from Smith's. Nothing fancy, but the perfect consistency and sweetness. Haven't found anything that compares.
Yes I've been pinning a lot of christmas card ideas, sorry about the overload I just need to keep them organized. I'm excited because I love letterpress, designing and printing the invitation was by far my favorite part of the wedding process. Ken is really into it to so that makes me excited. He says he wants to me one of "those families" that always sends a timely card and picture. I can see it in my head and it's beautiful. Just need to decide if we should go a cheery way (with a somewhat funny phrase) or something more reserved and traditional (a la peace on earth).
Yes I am actively seeking things that make me uniquely happy. I'm always surprised how lifted and excited I am while playing volleyball so I need to make sure to incorporate that into my seasons more. I have the same memories associated with wheel throwing, so I'm going to try that again too. I hope it works out!
Post a Comment