Wednesday, October 27, 2010

He's 11 now.


He picked his favorite breakfast casserole, with bacon AND sausage, to have for breakfast that morning.  He said he wanted to sleep in since it was his birthday (and he is my son!), but instead he was awake at 6am because he was too excited to keep sleeping.  He got the two books he wanted, the video game he dropped 135 hints about wanting.  As a joke, we bought him a bathrobe, because he's actually been wanting one for a long time, but never really wants to put it on any list.  So I finally just got it for him.  He thought it was funny, and proceeded to wear it the rest of the morning, and later that night.  To his great shock and amazement, we gave him a cell phone.  An actual working cell phone, part of our family package.  He wasn't expecting it, wouldn't have even dreamed of wishing for it.  But without a home line, we actually kind of needed him to have it.



And somehow he's the same as he's always been, but also changing into who he's going to ultimately be.

He's smart, and good and kind.  He reads like crazy.  But can spend just as much time conquering a video game.  He loves being home.  Hates going shopping.  He like playing basketball, but probably won't be our next generation runner.

Quite simply, I don't know what I would do without him.

On the agenda:
  • The morning party

  • After school cake and ice cream


  •  Followed up with family fun at Frankie's in Raleigh where we played a family game of laser tag, and other various activities.


 The human spider web, which was the unexpected favorite activity of the night!

  • Followed up with dinner at Chili's, per his request, where he was sufficiently embarrassed by the waitressing staff singing to him! 


And now he's 11.  Another year comes and goes.  Another year passing by faster than the one before.  Forcing me to realize that these kids are only kids for a blink of an eye.  I hope we made his day special.  I hope he knows how special he is to all of us. I hope he knows that I think the world of him, and I'm so proud of the way he's growing up.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Happy Birthday Henry! What a fun celebration! I can't believe Henry's 11 and I can't believe he is old enough to have his own cell phone. You are the coolest parents!

Sarah said...

Wow! ELEVEN! What a cute cute kid. Happy Birthday Henry!