Monday, September 20, 2010

The Weekend.

We drove out to Maple View Farm on Saturday for some mid-afternoon ice cream.  It was somewhat dreamy.  While dining on ice cream, I discovered that I could sign the children up for a series of farm lessons, on the farm!  My children, may or may not soon find themselves in farm class. 










Henry's about to turn 11, and sometimes I feel like I'm about to cry about that.  Except that he's so helpful and great, so then it just makes me proud.


I'm going to do it.  I'm going to run a marathon before the end of 2010.  I just mapped it out after I came back from my 9-mile run on Saturday.  It won't be my best training ever, but it's possible, and that's all I need right now.  It's been three years, and I need to do it again.  It's time.  On my run, I was trying to aquaint myself with the Avett Brothers, because Darin really wants to take me to their concert for my birthday.  Sometimes I act like I'm not listening to Darin.  And sometimes I don't want him to have better ideas than me.  I'm really mature like that.  You should be jealous.  I'll happily go to the Avett Brother concert with him on my birhtday, it will be beautiful.  Here was my favorite song on Saturday, the title alone is worth something, "Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise".  I love a title that can't quite decide what it wants to be.  That is totally my kind of title.  The lyrics were haunting and lovely, and when accompanied by the talented musicians it's enough to bring a tear to your eye.  Poetry set to music.  That, and it made me want to sign up for piano lessons again:

"When nothing is old, deserved or expected
And your life doesn't change by the man that's elected
If you're loved by someone you're never rejected
Decide what to be and go be it.

There was a dream
One day I could see it
Like a bird in a cage I broke in and demanded that somebody free it
And there was a kid, with a head full of doubt
So I'll scream till I die or until the last of those bad thoughts are finally out"

-The Avett Brothers
I and Love and You (album)


7 comments:

Ie Li said...

Maybe I should acquaint myself with the Avett brothers too. You take some beautiful pictures, Annee. Don't you love being close to farm-y things?

Liz said...

Such an artist post! I love your pictures and the poetic lyrics.

You can do the marathon. I know you can!! I'll be cheering you on from the West Coast!

sarah said...

Gorgeous pictures! Sounds so idealic. If you report that your kids go willingly and without complaint to Farm School I will know you're making the whole thing up.

Karin said...

Farm school? I'll keep posted...
LOVE that picture of Henry!

Sarah said...

Really beautiful pictures. You should frame those of the boys. Good luck on your Marathon. You can do it!

Adam and Sariah said...

I was waiting for another marathon to pop up on your blog. I am running a 1/2 at the end of Oct. but it is going to be just a finisher. Not one for time. My marathon goal is for next June. Right now I have to get my pace back from being sick. Can't wait to hear about how it goes. It is great to see how much you guys are enjoying your new life there.

Unknown said...

Ice cream with a view and a marathon. Can't go wrong. I assume this marathon is prep for the big Beantown one? The girls and I will be cheering Dave on at the Cape Cod marathon at the end of the month and we were so proud last month to see him cross the 1/2 marathon finish line in NH. Just proving I am an experienced runner-cheerer and I'd be happy to you add you to my race resume! :) chris